Saturday, May 28, 2016

WHY I SHOP DOLLAR TREE

HEY EVERYBODY AND WELCOME BACK......

In case you've been living in a bubble, let me be the first to let you know that DOLLAR TREE ROCKS!

Before you think I've lost my mind, take a look around.  The internet is totally abuzz with all things Dollar Tree.  As a matter of fact, type the words Dollar Tree into the search bar of YouTube and you'll be amazed at just how many people really are in love with the Tree of Dollar!

At first glance it would seem as if this craze was mere madness.  People getting all cabobbled over cheap items that cost next to nothing.  It seems innocent enough, but could it be that this phenomenon is simply the result of nothing more than consumerism?  Are people looking for a way to justify hording more stuff?  Could it be that this fad is simply a way to feed a materialistic addiction without guilt or the need for rehabilitation?  (wow, it just got deep)

I admit it!  There have been many times I have visited Dollar Tree ~ oh, who am i kidding, a lot of stores ~ to fill a selfish need of retail therapy.  I HAD to resort to Dollar Tree because there was no guilt there for me.  As a mom, I often suffered from "retail guilt" when dared to spend $5.00 on a nifty pair of shorts that were on sale at Sears, but, let me spend just $1 instead and I'm guiltless!  Ah, finally a store that would allow me to indulge my secret pleasures of Washi tape and journaling without feeling like I was a dead man walking - deserving of a final meal.

While all of this may sound a little extreme (i have been known to exaggerate a time or two), sadly it is true for far too many.  I am fully aware of the number of people who literally are addicted to shopping.  Well, not just shopping ~ BUYING.  And for those people, Dollar Tree has become a vice.  This realization caused me to pause and examine my own motives and reasons for shopping so often - very often - too often - at the beloved "everything's a dollar" store.  Was I buying just to buy?  Was I making purchases to fill a need?  Was I wasting money on things I really didn't need just because it seemed to be a bargain?

Sadly, the answer to most of these questions was YES.  (hanging head in shame)  I had become just as guilty as the next person of excusing away my behavior.  I was quickly becoming an addict.  And my name was Deena.  (well, that hasn't changed)

When I finally got honest with myself, I had to broach yet another dilemma.  Would I choose to show the rewards of my prowess in my "haul" videos or would I refrain in order to not propel the notion of needless spending?  Would I take the risk of seeming like yet another greedy consumer setting out to fill my closets with stuff I would never use, or would I push past the trepidation and decide to help the masses who were in need of a guiding light in the midst of the madness?  I chose the latter.

Yes, it is true that the Dollar Tree can be a way for people to fill their homes with useless items they'll forget they have in a week, but it can also be a great resource for those who choose to live on a budget and control their spending.  And that is the best reason of all to shop at Dollar Tree.  So, I decided that if I could help those who were thrift conscious, I surely would.

I have found some things to be of great value at the Dollar Tree, and I have discovered there are several good reasons to continue shopping there.

1.  A great value for every day items.  There really is a plethora of everyday items one can purchase at the Dollar Tree and feel absolutely frugal in doing so.  Things like socks, t-shirts, cooking utensils, and party supplies to name a few.  Although it is necessary to pick the better quality, many of the items Dollar Tree sells in these categories are absolutely worth the dollar you spend because they will last a good while if taken care of properly.

2.  A Great Value on Food Items.  Obviously, not every food item at Dollar Tree is a great value ~ especially for couponers who can get great deals on food products elsewhere ~ a good many of them are.  And yes, while not all the choices at Dollar Tree make for a nutritionist's dream, there are some healthy products that can be found.

3.  Greeting Cards and Gift Bags.  There is not a person on the face of the planet who doesn't have a party or two to attend throughout the year, and the Dollar Tree is a great place to pick up those necessary "evils" (so to speak).  We all know that gift bags and greeting cards can cost an arm and a leg at big box stores.  And, with Dollar Tree having such a great variety, there is absolutely no reason I can think of to spend more elsewhere.

4.  Organizational Supplies.  An organized home is a happy home!  As I always say, there should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place.  I live and breathe on organization and Dollar Tree has many affordable ways to help me maintain order in my home.

5.  Cosmetic Items.  If you love make up and nail polish, Dollar Tree is a great place for you.  You can achieve a high end look for next to nothing.  Don't believe me?  Check out my latest tutorial on how to have a glam look with products from the Dollar Tree.  It really is possible to get some great cosmetic items at a fraction of the cost you pay at local drug stores.

6.  Stationary on a Budget.  While I do agree that pens, pencils, and paper products can be found at office supply stores much cheaper than Dollar Tree, there are some great values in the stationary aisle that should not be over looked.  If you are a crafter or planner, the Dollar Tree has some wonderful things that will compliment your collection nicely.

7.  Childrens Games/Toys.  Before you send Santa on a shopping spree for this year's Christmas stockings,  you must understand that not every toy is worth the buck you pay at Dollar Tree.  However, there are some really awesome products that children love and some great game ideas to keep your little ones busy.  As a matter of fact, we were able to equip our entire VBS last summer with items from Dollar Tree.  You can see how here.

8.  Dollar Tree Accepts Coupons.  Dollar Tree does accept manufacturer coupons and is even listed on popular couponing apps such Ibotta.  Familiarize yourself with Dollar Trees couponing policy for even more savings and smart spending.

9.  Seasonal Items.  One of my favorite things to buy at Dollar Tree is the seasonal items that come out every holiday.  They have so many goodies that help to display holiday cheer around the home.  And, they offer many products for those seasonal DIYs as well.

Granted, there are some products at the Dollar Tree that are NOT worth the dollar spent.  In that case you must be very careful not to waste your money just to say you purchased the item at Dollar Tree.   However, there are some super fantastic deals to be had there and definitely should be taken advantage of.  But, before you decide to go shopping, do a little self check.  Don't bring home things you don't need or will not use just for the sake of saying you bought them at a great price.  Spend responsibly.  When you steward your resources well they will stretch much farther than you could have ever imagined.

Happy shopping and remember, you were created for purpose so go be all you can be!!

Love,
Deena <3 xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment